My journey back to racing

The year was 2011. I had been racing on the track and on the road for a
Greek cycling team for almost 5 years. I was not a bad cyclist. 2003 seemed to be my year: I managed to get a 6th place at the two-day National Greek Cup (road race), a 7th place at the 500m time trial Track National Championships and a 12th overall place at the International Tour of Rhodes. I was even part of some developmental athlete camps of the Greek National Team.

But, as with many cases in Greece, a lot of opportunities can be easily lost, especially in sports. Not only because of the lack of infrastructure or governmental support but mainly because of the lack of sports culture, and lack of understanding and education about the science of sports and human performance. Simply said, it is not important if you are an athlete in Greece; you cannot make money; you are not considered successful in the society; you are a nobody. In contrast with their ancient descendants, who were focused on developing the brain (education) in harmony with the body (athletics/sports), the modern Greeks admire either the education or the business success alone. Not the sports.

I was brought up in such a society and so, cycling was on the side of my education as a Mathematician. On the top of that, my family in particular, hated sports, or at least it was among the ones who were viewing sports as an activity that is good for you to do twice a week for fun. Anything more than that was supposed to be harmful for your body or it was supposed to take up too much time away from your educational goals. Driven by both my society and my family, I went on to graduate school. I managed to get a dual scholarship (tuition and personal funds) to study abroad in England at the University of Bath and focus on a masters degree in Applied Mathematics in Biology. It was 2005 already, and I had believed that there was nothing more I could do to succeed in sports. It was time for me to put all of my efforts towards an academic career. I had a good time in England, I was working hard towards my degree, and I was also doing sports on the side. I picked up swimming and I started jogging. Cycling? not that much.

By 2008, I had an MPhil (Masters of Philosophy) in Mathematical Biology, and a good publication in Genetics. I was beginning my PhD program in the USA at Georgia Tech (Atlanta, GA), again with a dual scholarship. Three years into my PhD, I was doing great. Four more publications were on their way and two years left till I finished my studies. I had put a little bit of weight on, still swimming and running on the side. Till I met my partner David. A former professional triathlete, a successful Div II cross country coach, a successful swimming and triathlon coach with numerous All-American athletes, National Champions and one Olympian, Dave, not only
understood where I was coming from but he could also see that I was not happy. I was restless, something was missing. I would go on a jog, I would go for a little swim, yet I would say, "oh, if I were in shape I could win this, I could compete here and there, I could be successful". So, he just suggested me try.
And I tried, and he was there to coach, guide, and shape my new athletic era, my new athletic personality.




In 2011, I went back to racing. Triathlon this time. Within my first season, I had already under my belt 21 age-group wins in various triathlon, duathlon, running and cycling events, and a 4th place at the USA Triathlon Collegiate National Championships (running a personal best 10k of 37.51) at the age of 31. I finished my PhD with 5 publications. I was happy and complete. I had dreams about my sports career now and I believed I had succeeded the perfect balance between my mental and my athletic endeavors; similarly to my ancient Greek descendants.




Until I faced a dreadful injury that put everything on hold for nearly two years.  
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2016 Pinarello GAN RS review

Ενας δρομος υπερβασης πολλαπλων δυσκολιων, συνεχους προσπαθειας, αντοχης, ανοχης, υπομονης και επιμονης στα ονειρα και στις αξιες.

The progressive overload as part of a periodization plan