2015 Juliana Nevis - Bike review and race reports of the Georgia Endurance Series MTB Cups (6hr solo)

When it comes to picking up the right mountain bike, things can get complicated.

Especially for female riders, who tend to have shorter torso and longer legs (opposite to the male anatomy), choosing a mountain bike with female-specific geometry is paramount.


Mountain biking challenges your body in multiple and different ways compared to road biking. Road biking sets your body in a more-or-less single position with a couple of options setting your hands in the hoods or drops and perhaps getting off the saddle on hills and sprints. Mountain biking on the other hand, requires constant, multiple-angled positions, riding on the tip of the saddle or far back off the saddle, climbing leaning forwards or descending leaning backwards.

Therefore, for us all female riders, for better positioning, more efficient and fun riding, less muscle fatigue and injuries, it is crucial to chose a mountain bike company that truly designs frames with a female anatomy in mind.

The first company that produced mountain bikes for women is Juliana Bicycles. Based in California, Juliana Bicycles is currently leading the innovation, design, functionality and beauty of the industry! Branched off of the legendary Santa Cruz mountain bikes, Juliana Bicycles makes state-of-the art machines exclusively for the female rider!

Just 5 months ago, I got the Juliana Nevis, which is essentially the hardtail bike of the company. I will be focusing on off-road triathlons this year, which in their vast majority, include short and fast (10-20mi) XC type mountain bike portions. Therefore, a lightweight hardtail that climbs fast and handles a XC terrain efficiently would be the best bet.
Do not under-estimate what this hardtail can do though.

The Nevis got me through two 6hr mountain bike races amazingly well. Once I got used to how the bike handles, I was able to descend fast, get through tight corners and steep deeps, and handle some technical terrain with dignity. For a short rider like myself (5.1") the XS Nevis was a perfect fit! With a pair of tubeless 650b wheels, a good 100mm travel RockShox fork and a blend of Sram, Shimano Deore and XT components, the Nevis is a great deal! The more I ride it, the better I become! The Nevis gave me a 3rd and a 2nd place at the first two rounds of the Georgia Endurance mtb series in the 6hr solo division! Go Nevis!

As the triathlon season has just started to unfold, I am switching to my own sport now and shooting for the off-road tri Nationals in May. I am optimistic and I hope for the best. I am still new to this sport so I have zero expectations this year but I hope that my fitness base will compensate for my lack of experience.

I love my Juliana Nevis mountain bike. I do think that this bike is designed to accommodate any kind of ride, from a recreational, fun ride in the woods to short and fast off-road triathlons, XC events and even long, endurance mountain bike races.

What I would LOVE to see in the future of this bike: a carbon fiber version and higher-end components!

Till then ...


Go Nevis! Go Juliana!
http://www.julianabicycles.com/en/us

See below a fun video of my training and racing adventures with my Juliana Nevis!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2016 Pinarello GAN RS review

Ενας δρομος υπερβασης πολλαπλων δυσκολιων, συνεχους προσπαθειας, αντοχης, ανοχης, υπομονης και επιμονης στα ονειρα και στις αξιες.

The progressive overload as part of a periodization plan