The mid-season hump and how to get over it

I am not sure if this happens to all age-grouper triathletes but it certainly makes its appearance the more systematic, the more senior, and the more endurance-focused you are in the sport.

Mid-season hump is that training phase right in the middle of the season, where you are still putting long, base miles, you have not started your overload phase and you have not started racing yet. The initial enthusiasm of the new season has worn off, you feel a bit bored and tired and you are just so ready for a change!

The way I am trying to get out of these mid-season blues is not always the same but what usually works for me are just the simple things:


1. Once in a while, I break up a very long workout into two chunks: one with the sport I am supposed to do and another with a different sport of equivalent aerobic value. For example: I have a long run. I then do 80% of it and replace the other 20% with a very long hike. Or, I have a long bike ride. Then, I do most of it and replace the remaining with a gym spin or a gym elliptical workout.

2. I often go back to my goals and think about the upcoming races: this daydreaming always pumps me up!

3. If I feel like I am not progressing or I am not getting faster: well this is not the right period to get faster! It is the long, slow grind. A lot of times it is worth reminding this to myself!

Best of luck with what you do, the racing season is only a few weeks away!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2016 Pinarello GAN RS review

Ενας δρομος υπερβασης πολλαπλων δυσκολιων, συνεχους προσπαθειας, αντοχης, ανοχης, υπομονης και επιμονης στα ονειρα και στις αξιες.

The progressive overload as part of a periodization plan