Why we need to make mistakes and have terrible races

Some of us learn faster by listening, others by writing and others by doing. The majority of us however, learn more effectively by some sort of combination of all the above. Interestingly though, if you learn a theory, and even if you apply it successfully a handful of times, it still takes time to really sink in.

In sports, things are not that different: the coach is the instructor and the athlete is the student. I value myself as a good student and a good athlete. I listen, I take notes, I try my best to follow directions and apply the theory at practice and training sessions. This year, I finally thought I got it. And I actually did but, as with every piece of knowledge, it took time to sink in.

This year, I have been injury free. This year has been the only year in my entire triathlon career that I have managed to put in 48 weeks of solid, consistent training, without interruption. So, this was the plan layout and this was what I had to do, what I did and what I have learned so far:

Fall: prepare for my first marathon

I gradually increased my weekly running miles to ~60 and my body absorbed it. I kept swimming and cycling at a lower volume and intensity. That way, I created a solid running base for my triathlon training. I experienced my first marathon and learned that going out just a touch faster after mile 16 cost me pain and torture during the last 2 miles. Knowing how to pace your own self is absolutely detrimental.

Spring: transition time to full-time triathlon training and first half-distance race

Considering our move from Atlanta, GA to Metuchen, NJ, things went along pretty well. I completed a 200k brevet and won a local half-distance triathlon race running a decent 1:52 half-marathon at the end. I listened and applied and paced myself well at the bike and had plenty of good reserves for the run at the end. I was now confident.

Summer: bike quality kicks in while run and swim volume stays the same

I joined a local group of fast bike kids, who were kind enough to back off when my jammed legs were dying at steeper or longer hills. I saw a big improvement on my bike endurance and speed within two months, while my run and swim did not really suffer. I started recovering from long sessions a lot faster than before. My body was absorbing the volume and intensity well. Then, the first olympic distance triathlon race came. Even though this was a prep/training race, being too confident on the bike made me push it a touch faster than I should (see: marathon mistake) and I started the run with so much lactic acid that I couldn't really wash off. I had one of the fastest bike splits but ... I did not win the race. I really blew up on the run. I did not listen, I did not apply. The following week, another training, olympic distance race came along. That time, I was really determined to listen and execute. And I did.

I came home 3rd overall and clocked the second best running 10k of all females on the day, negative splitting (with tight splits) a hilly course and sprinting the last mile at a 7:22 mile pace.

Backing off just a little but not too much on the bike leg requires a good knowledge of yourself, a great understanding of pace and effort adjusted to the terrain and race distance, and a seamless application of what you have learned and practiced in training. In other words, you have to make all of your planets align just right.

How do you do that?

By listening, keeping notes, applying the theory numerous times in training and by making mistakes.

Happy mistakes ~ Happy learning from mistakes

C U out there!

Comments

  1. Appreciation to my father who informed me regarding this webpage, this weblog is in fact amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and please, do not hesitate to chip in your thoughts on the comments box!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The 2016 Pinarello GAN RS review

Ενας δρομος υπερβασης πολλαπλων δυσκολιων, συνεχους προσπαθειας, αντοχης, ανοχης, υπομονης και επιμονης στα ονειρα και στις αξιες.

The progressive overload as part of a periodization plan