What's up for 2017

My goals for 2017 summarized in two sentences: I am racing my first marathon and I am aiming for a top place at the 2017 ITU long-course World Championships!

After sitting down and assessing the 2016 season, Dave asked me the magic question: what do you want to do in 2017? I said, I felt I had a good race at the 2016 ITU long-course World Championships, but for some reason, I have an unfinished business out there. I did well but I did not feel I raced the race. So, we looked at the data and he decided that I lacked running training...he actually said that my 19mi run at the Worlds was not as bad as I thought to be taking into account my 20-25 mi weekly averages during my preparation.

Dave said that the best way to put some volume on the run and let your body adapt to longer distances and that way be ready for speed work in spring/summer is to prepare for a marathon race.

So, we divided the season into four chunks:

1. Pre-marathon volume build: Run: increase the weekly volume slowly and steadily up to 60mi (~shy off 100 km). Bike: keep the volume low and at recovery pace. Swim: speed work at high intensity and high volume. Weights: 2-3 times a week with emphasis on low weight/high reps.

2. Marathon race (end of March): first race of the season with the aim to arrive at the race healthy!

3. Post-marathon volume and speed work: Volume and intensity increase for all three sports throughout summer. One 200+mi ride, One distance open water race, One half marathon race.

4. Tri summer season with taper for the World Championships (end of August): One Olympic and One half-iron prep races before the 2017 ITU long-course World Championships on August 27.

I can't wait to become a better, stronger, healthier runner and smash the 2017 ITU long-course Worlds!




(more about our periodization plan here:
http://loukialili.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-progressive-overload-as-part-of.html)

Be safe, stay healthy.

Loukia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2016 Pinarello GAN RS review

Ενας δρομος υπερβασης πολλαπλων δυσκολιων, συνεχους προσπαθειας, αντοχης, ανοχης, υπομονης και επιμονης στα ονειρα και στις αξιες.

The progressive overload as part of a periodization plan