Balancing body and mind

I come from a stereotypical, Mediterranean family that values education, family bonding, cultural traditions and heart-healthy food! I grew up spending most of my energy in school, learning the Greek language, literature, history and religion in a painstaking way, practicing science every day, learning good English from elementary to senior high and playing classical music on the piano for over 10 years. My parents spent most of their time at work, struggling to make ends meet, saving and investing on properties for our future and providing us with the resources for an expensive education. With virtually no parents at home, I was mainly brought up by my grandmother who spent the majority of her days in our apartment cleaning it and tiding it up and cooking our daily meals. She was also my occasional shelter and support - both emotional and financial - during the crazy days of parental disagreement against my teenagehood decisions.

This was a sweet, sheltered and well-rounded little world that came to a nearly complete collapse and re-creation when I decided to embark for my scientific journey outside Greece. Cultural shocks were real, eye-opening experiences during my first year in the UK, where I went for my masters degree in Mathematics, and during my first year in the US, where I pursued my doctorate degree in Biology (I finished both degrees earning multiple awards including two full scholarships). During those times, I acquired new knowledge, extended my skill sets, learned new methods, expanded my horizons and world views but most importantly, I experienced different life-styles, food options, cultural believes and standpoints. I developed new friends from around the world, saw how different individuals value different aspects of life in a different way and gradually, I re-invented myself.

My education and life-style became a choice that was completely my own and not just a strict and strenuous process dictated by culture and family. I love music and playing the piano but I found my passion in sports. Sports for my family - and for most Greeks back then - was a bi-weekly, light activity that one could do to keep themselves active and healthy. Sports for me now, is a pursue to become the best I can be. I want to train and teach my body and soul how to overcome adversity and extend its physical limits. This is because going above and beyond my strength and endurance barriers brings waves of emotional, intellectual and physical delight that balance out the hard core mental activities. This daily process harmonizes my body, mind and soul and brings inner peace. I cannot imagine living without the scientific curiosity, creativity and collaborative spirit that lead me to the path of so many discoveries over the years! At the same time, life would be impossible without setting athletic goals and working systematically towards them.

This is my way to balance my body and mind.

I have come to the realization that finding your inner peace is a long, bumpy road that is always dynamic and never straightforward. It is unique to each one of us and for some, this road may never end or may never lead anywhere. I am grateful that during my journey, I have experienced so many cultures, ideas and life-styles, and I am currently surrounded by few, extraordinary, humble and well-rounded individuals strong enough to help me destruct and re-build my initial, sheltered world without letting the foundations completely collapse.

I hope that my bumpy road will keep unfolding and eventually get me to a meaningful place and help others find their own.

Keep exploring, never judge, always love!

See you out there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2016 Pinarello GAN RS review

Ενας δρομος υπερβασης πολλαπλων δυσκολιων, συνεχους προσπαθειας, αντοχης, ανοχης, υπομονης και επιμονης στα ονειρα και στις αξιες.

The progressive overload as part of a periodization plan