Into Big Changes and Breaking Stereotypes

I grew up in Greece, in one of the oldest and more traditional societies in Europe. Exactly where big changes rarely happen in people's lives. In Greece, you grow up in a house or apartment with your parents and siblings, and with grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins around and on top of each other. You finish school, go to a technical or academic college nearby, specialize in an area, get a job, get married and live with spouse and kids in the same town you were born or maybe in a town a few miles away. And although this is a lovely way to lead a life, offer to the society, feel secured and beloved and maybe do great things, it is very limiting and can be truly unbearable for the more curious, adventurous and rebellious mindsets. 

At the age of 23, although full of passion and restlessness, I wasn't quite en route to start a revolution but at the same time, I felt I couldn't quite fit in such a culture. I was constantly judged and rejected within my family, my schoolmates, my college environment and the society overall. I was extremely energetic and competitive as a girl despite the norm. Climbing trees, playing aggressive soccer and fighting with boys my age. Sadly, despite all that energy, I was restricted within the family values of "academics-first" and was never given a chance to do sports up until the age of 19 when I started making personal choices. But even from the academic side of things, the culture was unbearable - I was constantly bullied by schoolmates and set aside under the label of the "nerdy, ugly girl who nobody wants to hang out with"; and later at college under the label of "the weird student who does sports". 

Ironically, being smart and athletic never quite fit the norms of the modern Greek society. Nor do big changes either.

Had to plough my way through and change all of the modern Greek status quos: got my first degree in Mathematics but did not specialize in Math instead I moved on to get a PhD in Biology. Did not study in a college nearby but instead I traveled multiple countries and continents and switched universities for all of my degrees. Did not follow a purely academic career, typical of a PhD graduate. Did not accept family money, loans or other aids for my studies - earned every ride on my own. Started my athletic pursues as a road cyclist, then changed to being a triathlete, then a kayaker. Earned every medal and title with consistent, hard work.

Never boxed myself into the label of a "nerdy, ugly, unhealthy scientist" nor into the label of a "good-looking, dumb athlete".

What am I? Who am I? Who knows!

But then again, why do we have to set titles, labels and boundaries to what one can be and achieve?

Just keep changing and evolving. Whether you rebel or follow the standards - it doesn't matter at the end of the day. What happens to us and how we decide to react is all part of our personal growth, evolution and life journey.

I would say, if you feel like you don't fit in, keep changing till you find your own happiness and space where you belong to!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2016 Pinarello GAN RS review

Ενας δρομος υπερβασης πολλαπλων δυσκολιων, συνεχους προσπαθειας, αντοχης, ανοχης, υπομονης και επιμονης στα ονειρα και στις αξιες.

The progressive overload as part of a periodization plan