The path to becoming a more efficient swimmer

I am a triathlete. I did not grow up swimming.

Sounds familiar?

This is me as this is with a lot of triathletes out there. I never really paid attention during the first year of training and racing-I just practiced and practiced and practiced. My 2011-2012 season showed that I could have some potential in triathlons but it ended prematurely (due to a deep abdominal pain) with my 4th finish at the Collegiate Nationals (Lili 2011-2012 racing season). I was hit with and unknown injury (see An unknown injury) and as a result, I lost the two following seasons trying to resolve my problem. During these seasons, I could not run as much or as fast as I wanted because I was constantly in pain. The good thing though was that I could focus on my swim and on the bike (see How I trained through my injury and Swimming technique facts).

With Mike Cantrell
The "junk" swim miles got substituted this year with real technique work under the supervision of my husband, who is also my coach. I spent hours of kicking with the board, kicking without the board, doing side kicks, back flip and butterfly kicks in every direction and every body position. I used a lot the fins and the snorkel (God bless FINIS!). Then there were the high-elbow drills...lord! I looked so goofy during the first months. Then there were drills with the forearm fulcrum-this became my next-door neighbour in the water!

And finally, I met Mike Cantrell (@The Cantrell Center). The man who got my little devil sorted out (i.e. my "injury")! He fixed my musculoskeletal imbalance by teaching me how to rotate my trunk and pelvis effectively and how to breath appropriately with my diaphragm (see The resolution of the two lost seasons and How to breath with your back). My abdominal muscles are now working in good balance and I can breath from both diaphragms without any pain!

My swimming technique got even better and my pelvis could rotate in a more efficient way. And more importantly, I can now run pain-free!

With coach Dave Williams
All these could not have been realized without my lovely husband and coach Dave Williams, my physical therapist Mike Cantrell and the valuable aid of the genius products designed with thought and wisdom by FINIS.

Enjoy the following video of my swimming progress. I am far from being perfect in the water but I am definitely better of what I used to be, I am pain-free and I am looking forward to my new racing season coming up!


Swimming Technique progress with Swimming Instruction and PRI therapy




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2016 Pinarello GAN RS review

Ενας δρομος υπερβασης πολλαπλων δυσκολιων, συνεχους προσπαθειας, αντοχης, ανοχης, υπομονης και επιμονης στα ονειρα και στις αξιες.

The progressive overload as part of a periodization plan